Friday, August 04, 2006

Padres Report - August 4th

Padres’ Minor League Report

*** Programming Alert: I will be out of town from tomorrow until next Friday. See you then. ***

Hitters:

AAA – Paul McAnulty –-- 1-3; 2 BB
Hi-A – Sean Kazmar --- 3-5; 2B (15), R
Lo-A – Will Venable --- 2-5; 3B (4), RBI
R – Cedric Hunter --- 4-5; R, RBI, BB
R – Kyler Burke --- 1-4; 3B (3), R, RBI, BB

Pitchers:

AA – Matt Ekstrom --- 4.1 IP, 8 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 5 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR
SS – Orlando Lara --- 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO, 0 HR

Commentary:

I got a little grief for excluding Matt Ekstrom from my recent top 15… Matt is from Point Loma Nazarene University, a small private university here in San Diego and my alma mater… There is no one (other than maybe his family) that wants to see Ekstrom do better than I do. I just don’t see it happening.

Matt Antonelli missed a few games in late July and came back on July 27th… Since coming back Antonelli has gone 4 for 28 with one extra-base hit (a double). He has worked 9 BB (opposed to 5 SO) leading to eight runs in those seven games, but his numbers suggest he’s still not “right” since taking some time off for what was described to me as a “sore arm.”

That’s two consecutive solid performances from Lara. He now has 38.1 IP, 32 H, 11 BB, 46 SO, 3 HR. I need to find out what Lara throws… Anyone know?

Cedric Hunter is now batting .360… Cedric also walked tonight, getting on base five out of six plate appearances. I’m AMPED to see what this kid can do as he advances!

Kyler Burke has put up consecutive ‘1-for-4 with a BB’ nights. Nothing to write home about, but baby-steps for the now “.200” hitter.