Monday, July 31, 2006

Trade Thoughts

I’ll post more later… But right now I want to say that at the beginning of the season I thought the Padres has a decent shot at getting to the playoffs, but not a strong likelihood to advance in the playoffs. Furthermore, I felt that this season was more about 2007 than it was about 2006. I have since come to believe that our playoff chances are greater than I initially thought but I still think this season is more about 2007 than it is about 2006.

So how do those thoughts gel with the trade deadline deals/non-deals?

I’m pleased we got Todd Walker (.277/.352/.390) but I’m still worried about the Padres’ defense at the “hot corner.” Never-the-less I’m pleased we didn’t trade George Kottaras (whom I called the top prospect in our system) for a Joe Randa/Aaron Bloom type player.