Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Padres Report - August 22nd

Padres’ Minor League Report – August 22, 2006

I have two young boys. One will turn five in two weeks and one turned three in April. As a father of young kids, almost every night I help them get into bed. While I don’t watch every game, virtually every game I do watch is tape-delayed (boy I love my DVR). Tonight I paused the game in the top of the 6th with the game still scoreless. When my wife had gone to bed I came back downstairs my DVR had gone to live TV. Jane Mitchell was on doing her “One On One” interview show. The guest was Sandy Alderson. VERY interesting. I can’t comment on anything that jumped out at me but I will say if you live in the San Diego, get Cox Channel 4, and have a chance to catch it later (trust me, Cox will replay it), do so.

Last year I introduced my “7 Rules for a Dominant Start”

They are:

1. More strikeouts than innings pitched
2. Fewer than 1 BB per every 3 SO
3. Fewer hits than innings pitched
4. Two or fewer runs allowed
5. Zero home runs allowed
6. Seven+ innings pitched
7. Fewer than 110 pitches thrown

(In hindsight, I’ll probably revise rules 1 & 7 – but not right now).

Peavy’s line from Tuesday night:

7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR

While Peavy’s outing doesn’t technically meet all 7 “rules,” the only rule he missed was that he equaled his innings pitched with his strikeout total rather than having more strikeouts than innings pitched. Rules schmules… Peavy was brilliant!

The Padres needed a series win and they got it. Now a sweep would really get the Dodgers questioning their own ability… Go get ‘em boys!

Hitters:

AAA – Terrmel Sledge --- 1-3; BB
Hi-A – Chase Headley --- 2-5; SO
Hi-A – Nick Hundley --- 3-4; 2 2B, R

Pitchers:

AA – Sean Thompson --- 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR

Commentary:

Terrmel Sledge ONLY had a decent night… However in that decent night, his 9-game extra base hit streak ended.

I’m admittedly more negative on Sean Thompson than a lot of Padres minor league observers, and the reason he’s on tonight’s Report is because not only did he pitch 7 innings of shutout baseball, but he knocked in the only run of the game as well. Way to go Sean!