Thursday, April 16, 2009

Padres MiLB April 16, Players of the Day

Minor League Hitter(s) of the Day

Allan Dykstra (Low-A): 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
James Darnell (Low-A): 2-3, HR, R, 2 RBI, BB
Yefri Carvajal (High-A): 2-4. R, 2 RBI
Mitch Canham (AA): 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
Kyle Blanks (AAA): 2-4, 2B, R, RBI, BB, SO

Minor League Pitcher(s) of the Day

Nick Schmidt (Low-A): 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 0 HR
Cory Luebke (High-A): 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR

Commentary

Canham is hitting .500 on the season – I know it’s early, but wow. Unfortunately, he allowed 4 stolen bases Thursday night to go with his stellar hitting.

I like Luebke. And while I won’t say Schmidt is the guy I wanted the Padres draft in the first round last year, I like him too. I think both lefties are legitimate MLB starting prospects.

In case you weren’t paying attention, Fort Wayne is 7-0. If you’re in the Midwest and like the Padres, get out to see this team. They’re LOADED!