Thursday, September 28, 2006

Padres Report - September 27th

Padres Report – September 27, 2006

Wednesday evening I told a family friend that it wouldn’t bother me too much if the Cardinals beat us… The way I saw it, I’d rather face a slumping Cardinals in the playoffs than the red-hot Astros.

Under the heading: Be Careful What You Wish For

The Padres lost. Now our comfortable 2-game lead is a much less comfortable 1-game lead after the Dodgers beat the Rockies.

Now, I’m wondering if I might rather face the Astros than see more of Pujols.

Heading to Thursday’s contest against the Diamondbacks, the Padres now face the daunting task of holding off the Dodgers (I still don’t expect the Dodgers to win all their remaining games) while resting a weary relief threesome. Hoffman had Wednesday night off, but Cla Meredith has pitched in the last four games and an obviously gassed Scott Linebrink has pitched in the last three…

The Padres need a win, they don’t want to allow the Dodgers to tie the NL West race Thursday, and they need to rest their primary relievers.

…It bothers me that the Cardinals beat us…