Tuesday, September 26, 2006

PRD Interview: David Freese

I had the opportunity to talk to David Freese, Padres’ 2006 9th round pick on Monday evening… I don’t write up interviews in a Q&A format, instead I’ll give you a recap of our conversation and sprinkle in a few quotes…

***

According to Baseball America, David Freese’s South Alabama team went to the playoffs preventing him from negotiating with teams as a fifth-year senior thus sending him back into the draft. I asked David which teams he was talking and if he was talking to the Padres?

He replied that he was talking to a “good amount of teams” including the Padres. He made a point to say that he was “really happy” his South Alabama Jaguars made the playoffs but not happy they didn’t make it out of the “regionals.”

Freese told me he was a Sports Management major in college and he still has “a couple” classes until he graduates. David stressed that his family takes education seriously and that he plans to finish soon.

The St. Louis area native (Wildwood, MO) attended Meramec Community College and was a 2nd team NJCAA All American his sophomore season. I asked David if he had playoff experience and if he had won championships at any level.

He excitedly told me that as a high school junior his team finished 2nd in the State Playoffs and the following year his team lost in the District Finals. He also reached the regional finals as JUCO player… He truly seemed excited about his team’s successes, which is always refreshing.

When I asked how he felt about being a part of the Padres system, he said he, “couldn’t be happier, I love it.”

We talked about the Padres’ system and he said Grady Fuson was stressing patience to the hitters. In fact, Grady Fuson was at the Padres’ Instructional facilities the day David and I talked.

When talking about things the Padres wanted him to work on, Freese said that he often would see a pitch he “thought he could drive but couldn’t.” And said that was something he was working on in instructs. I also asked David about what he thought his strengths and weaknesses were. He told me his work ethic was something that separated him from other guys. He said, “Playing everyday is more mental than physical.” He also said he took it as a challenge that he came in as a “player without a position.” But he does not want to move off 3B, “I love third base,” he said.

Heading into the draft, Baseball America reported that at least one (unnamed) team wanted to convert Freese to a catcher. He said the Padres have not spoken to him about a position change and that he has “worked his butt off” to get better and is taking “hundreds of ground balls a day to get better.”

David has hit 21 doubles, 3 triples, and 13 home runs in only 262 professional at-bats. I asked him if had any memorable home runs or big hit as a professional. He laughed and told me his first was memorable for a couple reasons. First, and most importantly, down by two, the three-run shot won the game for his team. Secondly, “I wasn’t supposed to be hitting.” The coaches wanted one player to pinch-hit and David went to the on-deck circle thinking he was supposed to hit. Well, all’s well that end’s well.

We talked a little more about “instructs” and David said that the biggest thing for him was just “gelling with the pitchers and other infielders and getting to meet the coaches.”

Lastly, David and I talked a bit about his off-season. He said he’s currently 216-220 and would like to be a little lighter so he can be faster yet “not lose my strength.”

He didn’t know if he would be back in Fort Wayne or in Lake Elsinore, though he said he did hear rumors…

***

I had a lot of fun talking to David. He was real down to earth. On a slightly humorous note, David grew up in the St. Louis area and grew up a huge Cardinals fan. We spoke as the first game between San Diego and St. Louis was getting underway. I asked he if was torn. Chuckling, he admitted he was…