Friday, April 29, 2005

Pulling Off

I have watched quite a few games this year. Tonight, after getting 17 hits through 11 innings, I’ve noticed one thing; the Padre hitters are consistently pulling off pitches on the outside of the plate. If you’re going to swing at a pitch on the outside part of the plate, you look to drive it the other way. I’m seeing far too many pull-type swings on pitches that should be hit the other way. Depressing.

In other news Jake was his typical self.

8.0 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 R, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 115 pitches

I’m doing an all “Under 24” team with loyal reader and frequent analytical contributor Paul Reams. We’re making alternating picks down the lineup. He had the first choice for a right-handed starter and chose Jake Peavy. We’ll present the whole thing in the next couple weeks.

I’m staying up to watch the end of the game, but not to write about it. I’ve said my piece.