Monday, April 18, 2005

Roberts & Peavy Show the Way

One game does not, a season make.

But dang Roberts is doing is his best to prove me wrong.

Back on March 31st, I wrote:

I want Robert to excel and help the Padres win the division and go deep into the playoffs. And I expect Roberts to be exciting on the bath-paths… WHEN he’s in the lineup and IF he gets on base. I just fear that those two qualifiers won’t allow me to get excited about Roberts very often.


Roberts has already missed 12 games. So my “WHEN” comment still holds water. And Roberts can’t prove anything that we didn’t already know in one game; he’s fast. That said, Roberts looked great Monday night: 2-4 with a walk. And one hit was a speed-hit; a chopped grounder that Giants’ shortstop Omar Vizquel had to charge and by the time he got a handle, Roberts was safe.

I’m not ready to call Roberts’ acquisition a raving success, but I’m eager for an opportunity to eat crow. If Roberts helps lead this team to the playoffs I’ll be every bit as ecstatic about that as I would be if Klesko leads us there with a “Moneyball”-esque dream season of 100 BB and 40 HR.

On to Monday’s other gem…

Peavy’s line:

7.0 IP, 6 H 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO, 1 HR, 93 pitches

Do you want to know how to identify a truly dominant pitching performance when you see one?

Here are the indicators:

1. More strikeouts than innings pitched
2. Fewer than 1 BB per every 3 SO
3. Fewer hits than innings pitched
4. Two or fewer runs allowed
5. Zero home runs allowed
6. Seven+ innings pitched
7. Fewer than 110 pitches thrown

Check, check, check, check, mmm, check, and check.

Seriously though, the only blemish was one bases-empty long ball to Lance Niekro in the 6th inning.

Peavy is finally getting the attention he deserves. With all apologies to Prior, Zambrano, the Marlins’ threesome, Peavy might be the most dominant young starter in the National League. He even gets up for the big games. I’m not sure I’d take Johan Santana over Peavy if I had a big game and needed a win. And if you know me, you know how big of a Santana fan I am (Santana is two years older than Peavy, how good will Peavy be in two years?).

It’s late, I’m out – night!