Saturday, April 16, 2005

Padres Get Run Down... and Over

Last Sunday I wrote that the Dodgers scared me. I write this just minutes after the Dodgers wrapped up the second game of the three game series (both Dodger wins) 8-3. I’m numb. I don’t know what to write.

I feel vindicated to see the Dodgers jump out to a fast start – if the Dodgers weakened themselves this offseason, and if you had to have baseball experience to know what to look for in building a team how did Paul DePodesta build what’s performing like a good team (the Dodgers are off to a 8-2 start)?

At the same time, to say I feel vindicated is kind of like the Prophet Jeremiah saying, “I told you so,” as his country was being overrun by its enemies. Being right feels hollow, I want the Padres to win.

What are the odds? How many Major League shortstops never break a finger in their career? Khalil Greene has now broken one in two consecutive regular season months. In their Channel 4 telecast, Matt Vasgersain and Mark Grant speculated that we will see a lot more of Jessie Garcia. Hot Spring Training start or not, that doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Back to Saturday’s game, there were two reasons why we lost. One, we gave up too many runs, and two, we didn’t score enough ourselves.

Seriously though, how about these stats (again, I have to credit the channel 4 guys for the first one – I went back and checked myself – but they get the tip of the cap for pointing it out on air):

Eaton started off only 11 of the 26 hitters he faced with strikes.
Loretta, Giles, Klesko, and Nevin combined for 6 hits (in 12 AB) – not bad. Burroughs, Hernandez, Nady, Blum, Eaton, Sweeney, and Ojeda combined for 0-20 – pathetic.

Eaton’s line:

6.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR – 99 pitches

If we’re looking for silver linings, we can be pleased that Eaton didn’t give up any HR, and that despite starting off too few hitters with strikes he still got through 6 innings in 100 pitches, and that 2 of the 5 runs were unearned…

Nope, didn’t work, I’m still pissed.

***

It is looking more and more like Burroughs bat is not good enough for him to be a major league regular. I’ve often talked about my friend Paul in this site, and he came up with a good idea…

The Padres’ top prospect (according to Baseball America) is 2B Josh Barfield. When Barfield is ready, shift Loretta to third. Loretta actually has extensive experience at third. He played between 73 and 451 innings at 3B from 1996 to 2002 (expect in 2000 when he only played 91 games and 90 of them were at SS).