Saturday, April 02, 2005

Fuuu-Sonnn! Fuuu-Sonnn!

"I'd like to stay here as long as Kevin [Towers] wants me."

Music to my ears!

Those words are quoted from Grady Fuson in Brian Hiro’s April 1st article, “Fuson finds a perfect fit as Padres' opinion guy,” in the North County Times.

Grady did help build the Oakland A’s juggernaut, as Brian reported, and he also helped rebuild the Texas Rangers minor league system (Texas has one of the more underrated minor league systems in my opinion).

In the article, Hiro reports that Fuson will spend the next two months helping Chief Gayton, Padres’ Director of Scouting, prepare for the upcoming June draft. The Padres are saying that their 2003 draft was a disaster (my word, not theirs) and last year was less than optimal as well.

My fear is that Gayton will be less than receptive to Grady’s inputs. That Gayton will want to put his stamp on the team… I hope my fear is unfounded but Gayton hasn’t had the most stellar results the last three years. My fear also is that Gayton might be worried about losing his job to Fuson (which wouldn’t bother me – but that’s another story).

Look, all fear aside, Fuson is a HUGE impact to our front office decision-making team. It will be fun to watch how this all plays out for our Padres.