Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Long Run

Ok, sorry, I said I’d stop but I can’t help myself…

This morning I woke up and checked the web and read, “Roberts knows it's [the] long run that counts.”

So is Roberts saying:

- He knows the Padres shouldn’t have overspent on a guy with a .335 career on-base average?


- That Towers shouldn’t have over-valued one playoff stolen base (which was admittedly huge) by a guy who consistently makes too many outs (costing his team too many games)?

- And that the “long run” shows that Roberts has missed 35+ games in each of this three big league seasons?


Look, I like the Padres. I want Robert to excel and help the Padres win the division and go deep into the playoffs. And I expect Roberts to be exciting on the bath-paths… WHEN he’s in the lineup and IF he gets on base. I just fear that those two qualifiers won’t allow me to get excited about Roberts very often.