Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dodgers Interested in Wells

A lot of baseball writers have quite good senses of humor.

In the 2003 Edition of the Baseball Prospectus (the book), there’s the following hypothetical conversation between Mark Shapiro and one of his assistants (unnamed) who is on the phone with the Dodgers (p. 86):

Assistant: “Hey I’ve got the Dodgers on the phone. They want Paul Shuey. Who are we asking for?”
Shapiro: “Uh, tell them we want Ricardo Rodriguez or Francisco Cruceta.”
A: “We want Ricardo Rodriguez and Francisco Cruceta.”
S: “No! No! Wait, you’ll piss them off…”
A: “They just said yes.”

I highlight that section because of what I read in the Union Tribune this morning…

The Dodgers are believed to be interested in Wells, too, according to the Los Angeles Daily News. Boston is believed to want a package of top L.A. prospects, including Triple-A center fielder Matt Kemp.

A package!?! They want more than one top prospect, including Kemp? I was thinking we might be able to get Wells for something in the range of a Sean Kazmir… Or one of our 24yr old Hi-A pitchers…

I don’t think Wells would be a big acquisition for us, and I don’t think he’d hurt us much as an opponent. I hope the Dodgers are willing to overspend to keep him from us. Again…