Monday, September 11, 2006

Padres Report - September 10th

Padres’ Report – September 10, 2006

First and foremost, let's not forget the memory of September 11th. It was great to see our country rally around eachother after that attack and it is sad to see the utter lack of unity as we continue the war on terror 5 years later.

***

In case you were wondering why I didn’t post Saturday night, it wasn’t because I wasn’t writing. Between the last two nights I’ve made serious headway turning notes into prose. I’m well into my Padres’ top prospects article. I still haven’t decided exactly how deep I will go with my rankings, but it will probably be 20 or 25…

***

I think I am officially out of the prediction business…

“If I’m a betting man (and I’m not) I’d wager that the Mets would win games 2 & 4 and the Dodgers would win behind Mad Dog in game 3.”

So, of course, the Dodgers won games 2 and 4 while the Mets won game 3.

&

“I do think the Padres win the series…”

Oops…

Oh well, the Padres are still in front in the Wild Card and still close in the West. And it was good to see the offense go off. Let’s hope those bats stay hot as the Padres head to the bandbox-known-as The Great American Ball Park… We need some W’s boys!

***

On Saturday, Lake Elsinore lost its 2nd round opening game 2-1 in 11 innings. Starting pitcher, Chris Jaile pitched 7.0 innings of hitless baseball before being removed after walking the leadoff hitter in the 8th inning… Then, on Sunday night, Lake Elsinore lost game two 1-0 while being 3-hit in a nine-inning gem by opposing pitcher, Andrew Baldwin. While both losses are unfortunate, both were predictable. Saturday’s starter, Jaile, walked six in his seven-plus innings and Sunday’s starter, Josh Geer, walked four in his five and two-thirds innings… The more hitters who reach base, the more likely some of those hitters will cross home plate.

Hitters:

Saturday:

Hi-A – Chase Headley --- 2-4; 2 SO
Hi-A – Tim Brown --- 2-4; 2B (3), SO

Sunday:

…none worth noting…

Pitchers:

Saturday:

Hi-A – Chris Jaile --- 7.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR

Sunday:

Hi-A – Josh Geer --- 5.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR

Commentary:

The Storm are one game away from elimination. They should watch a "Rocky" movie or something...